Henrico County Historical Society
PO Box 90775   Henrico, VA 23273   (804)501-5682   hchsinfo@yahoo.com

Henrico County Historical Society's motto, which is Preserving the Past in the Present for the FutureSkipwith Academy in Three Chopt District, Henrico County, Virginia.Log Cabin in Tuckahoe District, Henrico County, Virginia.Mankin Mansion in Fairfield District, Henrico County, Virginia.Dorey Barn in Varina District, Henrico County, Virginia.Bethlehem Church in Brookland District, Henrico County, Virginia.


Henrico County

Henrico County's
History

Brookland
District Sites

 >Glen
   Allen

Fairfield
District Sites

Three Chopt
District Sites

Tuckahoe
District Sites

Varina
District Sites

Links

Site Map


Brookland District Historic Sites - Glen Allen School

Glen Allen School in Brookland District, Henrico County, Virginia.

In 1886, Elizabeth Jane Holladay established the first Glen Allen School when she began teaching children in her home. In 1889, the school was moved to a one-room building on Mountain Road. It was relocated to Old Washington Highway in 1911. It was constructed at a cost of $10,000. It had no central heating or indoor plumbing. Between 1914 and 1925 three wings were added. In the 1930's an auditorium, gymnasium and home economics cottage were constructed. The school ended operation in 1978. In 1999, it re-opened as the Cultural Arts Center at Glen Allen.

  • Open to the public.
  • (County of Henrico)


>Back to Top<



Brookland Sites: Glen Allen
Bethlehem Church | Courtney Road | Forest Lodge | Meadow Farm | Walkerton | All Sites

Home | Maps | Genealogy | Preservation | News | Membership | Shopping | HCHS



© 2004-2014, Henrico County Historical Society. All Rights Reserved