Henrico County Historical Society
PO Box 90775   Henrico, VA 23273   (804)501-5682   hchsinfo@yahoo.com

Henrico County Historical Society's motto, which is Preserving the Past in the Present for the FutureSkipwith Academy in Three Chopt District, Henrico County, Virginia.Log Cabin in Tuckahoe District, Henrico County, Virginia.Mankin Mansion in Fairfield District, Henrico County, Virginia.Dorey Barn in Varina District, Henrico County, Virginia.Bethlehem Church in Brookland District, Henrico County, Virginia.


Henrico County

History

Districts
 >Fairfield -
   All Sites

Links

Site Map


Fairfield District Historic Sites - All Sites

Brook Hill

Brook Hill in Fairfield District, Henrico County, Virginia.

The mansion is set in a handsomely landscaped park which seems detached both geographically and temporally from the 20th century commercial development that surrounds it in Richmond's Northside. Among the early outbuildings is an architecturally noteworthy carriage house built in 1859 of the same bricks used in the construction of nearby Emmanuel Episcopal Church. The family cemetery is enclosed with a Gothic-style cast iron fence; the earliest stone dates to 1811. A slave cemetery also rests on the property. Brook Hill has remained in the same family since the early 18th century, and the lives of it's owners, the Williamsons, Stewarts and Bryans, have been closely interwoven with the history of Richmond and Henrico County over the past 200 years. During the course of the War Between the States, most of the leaders of the Confederacy were entertained here.

Brook Hill (side view) in Fairfield District, Henrico County, Virginia.

"Brook Hill, with its profusion of bays, verandas and eclectic ornamentation is a house unparalleled in Virginia. The house in its present form dates largely to the 1850's and "60s, being a curious blend of Gothic Revival and Italianate elements. The original 18th-century house is somewhere within the walls of the present structure, but there is no visible architectural evidence to confirm this tradition. The mid-19th-century interiors which are even more richly varied than the exterior of the house, remain largely intact....." Inventory of Early Architecture County of Henrico, Virginia, Compiled and edited with introduction by Christopher M Gregson. Also on this property is the Brook Road Tollhouse, probably the only surviving building of its type in central Virginia. The original toll keeper's house, a one story structure, was erected between 1825-40.

Below are pictures of the family cemetery: Brook Hill Family Cemetery in Fairfield District, Henrico County, Virginia. Brook Hill Family Cemetery in Fairfield District, Henrico County, Virginia.

Below are pictures of the slave cemetery: Brook Hill Family Cemetery in Fairfield District, Henrico County, Virginia. Brook Hill Family Cemetery in Fairfield District, Henrico County, Virginia.

  • Privately owned
  • (Photos supplied by Mr. Welford Lloyd Williams; Inventory of Early Architecture County of Henrico, Virginia)


>Back to Top<




Enerdale

Enerdale Farmhouse in Fairfield District, Henrico County, Virginia.

Dr. John Friend (1826-1889) erected Enerdale farmhouse in 1850-52. He married a Miss Barker, daughter of the man responsible for manufacturing the popular "Dr. Barker" line of tonics and liniments.

Dr. Friend, who graduated from the Virginia Medical College in 1850, practiced as a physician in Richmond and surrounding Henrico County until his death in 1889.

Enerdale Farmhouse in Fairfield District, Henrico County, Virginia. Enerdale Farmhouse in Fairfield District, Henrico County, Virginia.


>Back to Top<




Mankin Mansion

Mankin Mansion in Fairfield District, Henrico County, Virginia.

This structure was built by Edward T. Mankin in 1921. Mankin dedicated his home to his son, Irvin, who was killed in World War I. An inscription in the wood flooring of the main hall states "Irvin Place". He established a brickwork operation at this location which he ran until his death in the 1940's. Mankin produced bricks for the Colonial Williamsburg restoration project during the 1930's as well as for Hudson River mansions and large residences on Monument and Chamberlayne Avenues in Richmond, Virginia. The hive-like brick kilns have been demolished. The main house is surrounded by the remains of a brick-walled formal English garden. Dependencies on the estate include an attached Carriage House, Farmer's Cottage, Summer House and a three-unit garage. This Georgian Revival estate is one of fourteen significant National and State Registered Historic Properties located in Henrico County.

  • Wedding Resort and Bed & Breakfast.
  • (County of Henrico)


>Back to Top<




Fairfield Sites: All Sites
Brook Hill | Enerdale | Mankin

Home | Maps | Genealogy | Preservation | News | Membership | Shopping | HCHS

>



© 2004-2017, Henrico County Historical Society. All Rights Reserved