"Following a successful case before the Virginia Court of Appeals in 1777, the slaves of John Pleasants were allowed to follow the dictates of his 1771 will and were freed. His son, Robert Pleasants then gave seventy-eight former slaves 350 acres of his plantation. A community developed known as "Gravelly Hill". Here in 1801, a Quaker school for blacks was established and following the Civil War, the Gravel Hill Baptist Church was founded. Gravel Hill Community center, c 1930, once a public school, became a facility operated by Henrico County in 1970."
- Open for special events.
- (County of Henrico 2001 HC-17)
>Back to Top<
Varina Sites: Gravel Hill
Cedar Hill and Armour House | Curles Neck | Dabbs House | Dorey Barn |
Osborne School House | All Sites
Home | Maps | Genealogy | Preservation | News | Membership | Shopping | HCHS