Henrico County Historical Society
PO Box 90775   Henrico, VA 23273   (804)501-5682   hchsinfo@yahoo.com

Henrico County Historical Society's motto, which is Preserving the Past in the Present for the FutureSkipwith Academy in Three Chopt District, Henrico County, Virginia.Log Cabin in Tuckahoe District, Henrico County, Virginia.Mankin Mansion in Fairfield District, Henrico County, Virginia.Dorey Barn in Varina District, Henrico County, Virginia.Bethlehem Church in Brookland District, Henrico County, Virginia.


Henrico County

History

Districts
 >Brookland -
   Forest Lodge

Links

Site Map


Brookland District Historic Sites - Forest Lodge Cupola

Forest Lodge Cupola in Brookland District, Henrico County, Virginia.

Captain John Cussons, a native Englishman, confederate scout, author, and entrepreneur, married Mrs. Benjamin Allen (after whose family Glen Allen was named). He settled here after the Civil War and established a printing company. In 1881, he built a six-story fashionable resort hotel with over 100 elaborately decorated rooms known as Forest Lodge adjacent to the railroad tracts. The resort hotel occupied 1,000 acres, which also boasted a hunting preserve, lakes, boathouses, gardens, parklands, and an amphitheater. Forest Lodge was never the success it was hoped it would be, and in later years served first as a boarding house, and later as apartments. The parklands reverted to woods. Forest Lodge was demolished in 1989 due to development plans. The County of Henrico restored the top cupola, all that remained of the building, and it is now located on the corner of Mountain Road and Old Washington Highway.

  • Available for viewing from the outside.
  • (County of Henrico, November 2003 HCHS newsletter)


>Back to Top<



Brookland Sites: Forest Lodge
Bethlehem Church | Courtney Road | Glen Allen | Meadow Farm | Walkerton | All Sites

Home | Maps | Genealogy | Preservation | News | Membership | Shopping | HCHS



© 2004-2017, Henrico County Historical Society. All Rights Reserved